- About Us
- Legal Services
- Our People
- Contact Us
Charles R. Stone | Associate
Charles Stone is an associate in our Milwaukee office. He is also currently an adjunct professor in the business school of Peking University’s Market Economy Academy, where he teaches Organizational Behavior East and West, in Chinese. His practice includes general business law, and has an emphasis on Asia and China. His clients include American companies that have operations in China, and Chinese entities that invest in the United States.
Charles speaks, reads and writes Mandarin, and speaks and reads Japanese. He worked in China for five years. Charles’ knowledge of the Chinese language, culture and law not only serves to facilitate the drafting of legal documents in both English and Chinese, it also helps to facilitate business and negotiations with the Chinese in general.
Charles regularly gives lectures on Chinese law and business, and has taught a continuing legal education course on Chinese Intellectual Property Law.
Representative Matters and Experience
- Adjunct Professor of Business, Peking University, Market Economy Academy 北京大學民營經濟研究院, where he teaches Organizational Behavior East and West (in Chinese).
- Practice includes general business law, particularly that of Asia and China.
- Currently represents Chinese companies that are investing in U.S. companies.
- Currently represents U.S. companies regarding their operations in China.
- Lectures regularly on Chinese law, business and culture and has presented papers on Chinese law and business at major academic institutions, including the University of Chicago Booth Graduate School of Business and Marquette University School of Business.
Recent Presentations and Papers
- Charles R. Stone, “Chinese Princelings on Wall Street,” interviewed in Chinese by Yinan Wang for a video and series of articles on JP Morgan Chase in China, Voice of America Chinese, August 26-28, 2013 (http://www.voafanti.com/gate/big5/www.voachinese.com/content/china-princelings-wall-streets-2/1737535.html, brief appearance at 2:10).
- Charles R. Stone, Debunking Myths: US-China Cross-Border Barriers, Presentation at University of Chicago Booth School of Business Emerging Markets Summit, Chicago, Illinois, April 27, 2013
- Charles R. Stone, China’s Emerging Dominance: Separating Fact from Fiction, Lecture at a meeting of the Milwaukee Chapter of Financial Executives International, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 19, 2013
- Charles R. Stone, David Mungenast, Sandy Swartzberg,What The Chinese Want Today & How They’re Trying To Get It, Organizer and presenter at a Metropolitan Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce seminar at Marquette University School of Business, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 5, 2013
- Charles R. Stone, Doing Business with China Today: What the Chinese Themselves Say is Changing, Lecture at Gateway Tech Horizon Center, Kenosha, Wisconsin, June 19, 2012.
- Charles R. Stone et al., The Mind of the Chinese Investor, Organizer of and presenter at a Metropolitan Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce seminar at Marquette University School of Business, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 27, 2011
- Charles R. Stone, Practical Tips for Negotiating Contracts with China, Presentation and discussion at the International Credit Executives Group meeting of the Wisconsin Credit Association, Waukesha, Wisconsin, September 27, 2011
- Charles R. Stone, Two Things about Chinese Intellectual Property that Lawyers Never Talk About, Paper presented and panel discussion at Workshop on Law and Social Change in China, University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois, January 28, 2011
- Charles R. Stone et al., 2500 Years of Chinese Law, Seminar and panel discussion at Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 22, 2010
- Charles R. Stone et al., Global Economy, Chinese Law, and Social Change, Paper presented and panel discussion at the Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, March 11, 2010
- Charles R. Stone et al., Why China Approaches Intellectual Property Differently: Observations from the Perspective of China’s Classical Tradition, CLE presentation at Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, May 21, 2009
- Charles R. Stone et al., China’s Culture, History, and Legal Environment, Paper presented and panel discussion at Marquette University Graduate School of Business, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, May 2, 2009
- Charles R. Stone, Legal Traditions and Practices in China: Implications for Western Enterprises, Paper presented at University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Chicago, Illinois, January 15, 2009