Founded over 50 years ago, Weiss Berzowski LLP is a successful business law firm and home to various attorneys, paralegals and administrative and support staff members over the years of its existence.
Here are some highlights from our firm history:
152 W. Wisconsin Ave., 1950
Photo courtesy of:
Milwaukee County Historical Society.
In 1953, recent Marquette University Law School graduates Harold M. Frauendorfer and George G. Lorinczi set up shop in the Caswell Building (later the Posner Building) at 152 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee. The Frauendorfer & Lorinczi law firm was in business. Meanwhile, fellow law school grad Robert M. Weiss entered the United States Air Force for a three-year tour of duty.
Frauendorfer, Lorinczi & Weiss
Fresh off his stint with the Air Force, Bob Weiss returned to Milwaukee and etched his name on the shingle. The law firm then became Frauendorfer, Lorinczi & Weiss.
Lorinczi & Weiss
Following the departure of Harold Frauendorfer, the firm name was shortened to Lorinczi & Weiss. The two attorneys remained in the office at First and Wisconsin Avenue where they practiced tax, probate and immigration law. The firm soon had a significant client base, the growth in large part due to referrals and existing clients who had become successful in their own right and needed additional services.
The continuing growth created a need for a physical expansion and, in 1961, the firm moved from its first home to 1212 West Wisconsin Avenue, across the street from Marquette University. The firm continued to increase its range of services and serve more clients.
Marquette University Law School’s Class of ’69 included Michael M. Berzowski, who joined the firm. The firm relocated to 208 East Wisconsin Avenue (now 700 North Water Street), its present location. The building was originally known as the Banker’s Building and has had a succession of names, including the First Federal Building, the First Savings Association Building, the First Financial Building and the First Financial Center. The building is currently named the 700 North Water Street building.
Weiss, Steuer, Berzowski & Kriger
In 1974, George Lorinczi moved to Washington, D.C. to concentrate on international corporate legal matters. The firm changed its name to Weiss, Steuer, Berzowski & Kriger. Robert K. Steuer, Michael Berzowski and Alvin H. Kriger became named partners. John P. Brady joined the firm after serving as a law clerk for Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Leo B. Hanley. From its roots in the preparation of tax returns and handling collection matters, the firm’s work had expanded into tax planning, estate planning, corporate law, real estate and litigation.
Weiss, Steuer, Berzowski, Brady & Donahue
John Brady and John E. Donahue became named partners after Alvin Kriger’s departure, the firm being renamed Weiss, Steuer, Berzowski, Brady & Donahue. According to The Wisconsin Legal Directory (1981), the firm’s practice areas were: General and Civil Practice, Corporation, Partnership, Taxation, Securities, Estate Planning, Real Estate and Commercial Law. Fifteen attorneys provided legal services, five of them partners.
Weiss, Berzowski, Brady & Donahue
Four years later, the firm’s name was revised again, this time to reflect Robert Steuer’s departure. The firm became Weiss, Berzowski, Brady & Donahue.
By 1986, the firm’s practice areas had grown to include: General Civil Practice in all Courts, General Business, Corporate and Partnership, Corporate Securities and Finance, State and Federal Tax (Criminal and Civil), Real Property, Real Estate Finance and Syndications, Employee Benefits, Probate, Trust and Estate Planning, Creditors’ Rights, Bankruptcy, Personal Injury and Family Law (The Wisconsin Legal Directory, 1986). Sixteen attorneys handled this array of legal matters.
Weiss, Berzowski, Brady & Donahue LLP
The firm organized as a limited liability partnership and added LLP to its name.
In response to corporate expansion beyond Milwaukee and new development in the Lake Country area of Waukesha County, the firm opened its Delafield office. Located in the Delafield State Bank (now Town Bank) building at 400 Genesee Street. The office offers clients a convenient, personal environment with all of the resources of the Downtown Milwaukee location. The Delafield office is staffed by attorneys with close ties to the Lake Country area and operates as a full-service firm.
Weiss Berzowski Brady LLP
Following John Donahue’s departure in 2001, the firm adopted its present name, Weiss Berzowski Brady LLP.
It was with great sadness that the firm announced the death of founding partner Robert M. Weiss on November 21, 2002, at the age of 73, due to complications from Alzheimer’s disease.
The firm celebrated its 50th Year Anniversary and the 50 years of providing legal services with clients and friends at the Discovery World Museum.
We look forward to the next 50 years and to serving you.